Recently, I noticed that a post on this blog made the #metoo twitter feed. The post Fifty shades of Bull@#$! was written in April of 2015 and was primarily geared to show the sexual harassment that takes place in the New York City Public School system. Sexual harassment and work place harassment run rampant inside the New York City Department of Education and many times reporting these incidents will fall on deaf ears.
On July 10, 2013, United States District court Judge Denise Cote ruled on a law suit filed by Felicia Bray against the New York City Department of Education
The words you are about to read were written by Denise Cote.
Unless otherwise noted, the following facts are undisputed and taken in the light most favorable to the plaintiff (Felicia Bray)….. In September 2008, Bray began working at the Manhattan Center for Science and Math high school as an interim acting assistant principal of Operation…..
During her time at the School, Bray’s supervisor was Principal Jose David Jimenez. Bray asserts that over the course of the year that followed, Jimenez SEXUALLY ASSUALTED AND HARASSED her in six incidents described below.
- The First Instance of sexual harassment occurred on October 15, 2008. Bray and Jimenez were at the school after normal school hours to attend a School Leadership Team Meeting. After the meeting Jimenez and Bray walked to a restaurant near the school. At the restaurant Jimenez touched Bray’s hand and told her he really liked her. Bray responded that she felt uncomfortable and wanted to leave. When they returned to the school’s parking lot, Jimenez asked Bray to reenter the school. Bray followed Jimenez to his office where Jimenez grabbed her breast from behind for two to five minutes. Bray screamed so loudly that a school custodian came to the office door. She hid inside Jimenez’s bathroom while Jimenez spoke to the custodian….
- A second incident occurred on November 26, 2008 Bray was driving out of the School’s parking lot when Jimenez drove up beside her began honking his horn and yelling for her to follow him “right now.” Bray ignored him and drove away.
- The next incident took place in the spring of 2009. Bray was in her office with a colleague Dan Albetta when she received a call from Jimenez that she meet him in the health office. When Bray and Albetta arrived at the health office, Jimenez asked Bray to open the a desk drawer. The drawer contained a dildo and Jimenez asked Bray if the dildo was supposed to be in the office and began laughing. Bray responded that the item was frequently used in sex education classes.
- Next, Jimenez invited Bray and Assistant Principal Arleen Milton to attend a formal networking event in Queens on May 8, 2008. Jimenez had asked if he could accompany Bray to her house so that they could drive to the event together and Bray refused. At the close of the event , as Bray was entering an elevator a belligerent Jimenez began screaming at her and demanding that she go home with him.
- Around the same time Jimenez as Bray to attend the Senior Prom with him in May of 2008. when she declined, Jimenez reassigned Bray from AP of Operation to AP of Physical Education, a position she was purportedly not qualified.
- In July of 2009, Jimenez asked Bray to bring a binder with financial documents to his office. Jimenez met Bray in the hallway leaned it toward he and sniffed her neck and laughed.
- In July of 2009 Bray began to complain about Jimenez’s sexual harassment.
In November of 2010 NBC news Reported Felicia Bray’s Sexual harassment complaint against David Jimenez.
Bray’s Cases unfortunately did not move forward because of the statute of limitation on reporting sexual and workplace harassment.
Jimenez on the other hand was left at Manhattan Center and the allegations of sexual and workplace harassment continue. As one teacher from Manhattan Center for Science and Math High School called the environment dysfunctional.